Search This Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Blog 7: Tom Kearney (cop) and Dennis Hart (cab driver)

Tom Kearney:

The assumptions I had made about the ideals of a police officer of 23 years, whose father was a fireman for 40 years, were completely incorrect. After reading Tom Kearney’s background, I thought his story would demonstrate this very serious narrow-minded man. His role as a police officer is just what he does not who he is. I was surprised by his viewpoints on the social issues of the 60’s and especially the civil rights movement. I just did not expect a police officer to be so accepting of African Americans and even continually compare his objectives to those of an African American. He declares, “The average colored person is just like you and I. If there was a threat to all people wearing blue shirts, you certainly wouldn’t go down there in a blue shirt.”  Tom Kearney is understanding of the racial predicament that Blacks find themselves in and he even reveals that he would probably do the same thing. I find his blue shirt comparison to be unexpected but genius. This is just one example of his sophisticated thinking that really rejected my assumptions. Tom also talks about the old and new generation discrepancy. He and his son serve as a perfect example, and it is helpful for someone looking back at history to see. We learn about this new wave of generations and Tom is a man that experienced it firsthand.  I really enjoyed his story because it shattered my expectations, while also providing history.

Dennis Hart:

Dennis Hart discusses a variety of life topics from the atomic bomb to overcoming fear to the equality of African Americans. The topic that really resonates with me after reading this story is not the ideas from the Goldwater campaign or the details of the John Birch Society, but Dennis Hart’s response to the question “Do you ever cry?” He admits to crying and really embraces the shedding of tears. Instead of trying to mask himself with a manly bravado, Dennis is open and shares the truth about crying. He states, “I feel better any time I cry” and then later, “Every time I cry, I feel more like a man later on.” Crying refreshes you and is a completely unique outlet for emotion. Everyone needs to cry and feels better afterwards, but some people refuse to cry because of their thoughts of manliness. I immediately have the upmost respect for Dennis Hart and I would really enjoy talking to him after reading his ideas on crying. I do not see Dennis Hart as a cab driver, but as a man with bold and assertive views. A real man is not afraid to cry and an even bigger man will be completely open about it. This personal story does teach a history lesson like so many of the others stories I have blogged about, but it is just as valuable. Crying does not relate to US History aside from the fact that every single person in American history has cried during their life. To me the story of Dennis Hart is incredibly important because he sheds the complex truth on a simple universal emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment